Fruits and vegetables that start with U
The so-called » vegetable alphabet » is very extensive and varied, however, there are not many fruits and vegetables that start with u in the Spanish language. Despite that, we have managed to collect a few fruits that you will surely want to know.
We must not forget that fruits are good for health and we must always try to include fruits and vegetables in our diet: they provide a large number of benefits and nutrients to always keep us healthy. Keep reading to know all these fruits that you should include in your diet now.
Some fruits that begin with the letter U
It is time for you to know more fruits that can help you have a healthy lifestyle. Here is a list of some fruits that begin with the letter U in Spanish, arranged alphabetically so that you can familiarize yourself with them.
Now let’s know a little about each of these fruits, their origin and all the benefits and nutrients that they can contribute to our health.
This fruit (also known as guaymanto, uchuva, uvilla, ushun or in English « golden berry ») occurs naturally in some regions of Peru, Colombia, Bolivia, Ecuador and Venezuela, although there are already some outbreaks in South Africa and part from Asia. It has conquered several international markets despite being a perishable berry that must be consumed shortly after harvest.
Gooseberry It is not a small fruit, it is hardly bigger than a traditional grape. Its skin is thin and yellow, with a slightly sour aftertaste. Its pulp is sweet, and its internal appearance is similar to a cherry tomato cut in half. This fruit can be consumed fresh, eaten alone or in salads, giving a bittersweet touch to meals.
The main characteristic of this berry is that it is a source of provitamin A (due to the carotene that gives it a yellow hue) and a lot of vitamin C. It also has some of the vitamin B complex.
Besides being tasty, the gooseberry has several medicinal uses:
- Fight amebiasis
- It has antirheumatic properties.
- Calms symptoms of asthma and sinusitis.
- With its calcium content it helps with the formation of teeth and bones.
- It has a compound similar to insulin, so it helps with diabetes.
- Promotes wound healing.
This citrus fruit that results from a hybrid between mandarin and grapefruit. It owes its name to the «ugly» appearance of its exterior. Its peel is very rough and thick, of a dirty yellow color and it comes off easily, as is the case of mandarins. Its flavor resembles the taste of grapefruit, but less strong, with the smell and sweetness of mandarin.
It is a fruit that is made up of a lot of water, so it barely has 45 calories for each serving (half a fruit). Added to this, two servings of ugli they provide about 70% of the recommended daily value of vitamin C for a person. It has zero grams of bad cholesterol and has fiber that provides satiety.
Fruit benefits ugli for the body:
- It has properties to fight cancer and heart disease.
- It fights infections by helping to strengthen the immune system.
- Strengthens the bones, the entire skeletal system.
- It has functions that promote the proper functioning of the brain such as learning and memory retention.
- Keeps the skin smooth and elastic.
- Due to its high level of citric acid, ugli fruit juice can prevent the formation of stones in the kidneys.
The grape It is a fruit that grows in clusters, on a type of plant called a vine. There are several types of grape, the most popular are black and white. The pulp of this fruit is white or purple, sweet in taste and sometimes has a sour touch. It is consumed as fresh fruit or juice, although its main use is to obtain wines, preserves are also made.
This fruit is composed of various minerals and vitamins. It contains a large amount of carbohydrates, in fact, it is one of the most energetic fruits for this reason, however, its caloric intake is not very high (no more than 70 calories per 100 grams). Its glycemic index is not high, but medium, so diabetics can consume it.
- Properties as a diuretic and laxative.
- Increases the body’s natural defenses.
- Purifies the blood, protects the liver.
- Thanks to the antioxidants present in Grapes serves to prevent premature aging of the skin.
- Stimulates the production of natural insulin.
- Balances blood sugar and acidity.
- It favors the health and elasticity of the arteries and the heart.
- Grape anthocyanins help prevent degenerative eye diseases such as cataracts and sharpen vision.
- Prevents cellular aging.
These fruits are nothing more than dried grapes. This is done by minimizing the water content in the fruit, thus paralyzing the germs and toxins that the fruit may contain. To achieve this, it is done to natural heat (continuous sun exposure) or it can also be artificial heat (combustion of firewood or coal, gas or electricity).
The caloric value of this dried fruit is high (264 per 100 grams), this is due to its abundance in simple carbohydrates. The downside is that much of the vitamin C in grapes is lost during the drying process. They are an undeniable source of soluble and insoluble fiber, ideal for improving intestinal transit.
Some of the benefits that you will enjoy if you include raisins in your daily diet:
- Due to its amount of fiber, it is a natural laxative, which helps to improve digestive processes.
- Due to the amount of glucose and fructose (in addition to calories) they are ideal if you want to gain weight.
- Prevents the appearance of anemia.
- It is an excellent source of energy due to the amount of carbohydrates it has.