Fruits with letter M
FRUITS THAT BEGIN WITH THE LETTER M
Nobody doubts the benefits that fruits provide: they are nutritious and also serve health. In some way, they allow to keep the body healthy, free of diseases, especially in the case of children.
The growth and vigorous development of the little ones is strengthened when they are used to consuming fruits; It may well be the juice, in a smoothie, in the form of compote, chopped; all according to the age of the little one.
Many fruits that begin with the letter ‘m’ are not only limited to providing energy, but are also a rich source of vitamins and minerals that help make the growth and development of the child a highly healthy process.
Let’s see some fruits that begin with ‘m’ and their properties for our nutrition, enjoyment and health:
It is a fruit with a considerable amount of vitamin A; reason why it is supposed to him ideal for the maintenance of the visual health.
There can hardly be a person who is unaware of this delicious and refreshing fruit. It is characterized by its juicy pulp, yellow in color; while his skin, somewhat hairy, takes on a reddish-orange hue.
The peach combines sweet and sour flavors in a fairly balanced way, which gives it a taste that delights the palate and allows children to consume it without any qualms or objections.
Among the benefits that can be attributed to the peach are those it provides to the skin; When exposed to the sun, this fruit, which has a large amount of beta-carotene, protects it by acting as a filter.
Other properties of beta carotene present in peaches:
- Against free radicals, it behaves as an antioxidant, which allows it to protect us against cancer.
- It prevents mental illness by allowing itself to take care of our brain.
- It serves as a shield against viruses and infections since it strengthens the immune system.
- It acts in the formation of the bone system.
- It keeps us free from cardiovascular diseases.
- Prevents diabetes and rheumatoid arthritis.
The word ‘mamón’ refers to at least three quite different fruits:
- The Melicoccus bijugatus, which is known as guaya, huaya, mamoncillo, limoncillo, quenepa and countless other names.
- The Nephelium lappaceum, also called rambutan and chinese mamón.
- The Carica papaya, suckling or milky.
Idiot, M. bijugatus
It is a small fruit, covered with a green, thin and fragile skin. The taste of the mamón varies according to its state of maturity: it turns out to be sweet when it is ripe; when still green, it tends to be quite acidic.
The mamón, present in the intertropical zone of the American continent, is a fruit that can only be found in a certain season of the year; even so, it is highly prized for its salmon-yellow flesh, edible, soft and fleshy.
Among the properties of this tropical fruit we can mention its iron and phosphorus content (0.93 mg and 50.4 mg per 100 g, respectively); furthermore, the ripe and slimy fruit turns out to be somewhat laxative.
The mamón can be consumed in different ways: fresh, canned, prepared in a refreshing drink; or in desserts and ice creams. Its pulp is used for the production of beer or brandy.
A curious fact is that the natives of the Orinoco usually consume the seed of the mamón, once cooked, in substitution of a very traditional food for them: yucca.
Some uses in traditional medicine:
- The ground seed with everything and pulp, prepared in horchata, is used to cure parasites in children.
- Roasted and ground, alone or mixed with honey, the seed is used for the preparation of syrups or teas taken to cure diarrhea.
- As an additional review, the leaves of the mamón tree can be used to correct nervous disorders and lower fevers. The juice of the macerated leaf is useful against infections and sore throats.
Chinese sucker, Nephelium lappaceum
Product of the tree called rambutan, native to Southeast Asia, the Chinese mamón is considered a super fruit due to its excellent nutritional qualities and the content of micronutrients that act in favor of health.
With a pleasant texture, its flavor is soft and very sweet, reminiscent of the pulp of the grape; sometimes it can be a little acid, although it does not leave it fresh and juicy.
The appearance of the Chinese sucker is strange: small and oval, on the outside it has a thin layer, red on the outside and with spines that are harmless to the touch; This surrounds a white pulp that contains a poisonous seed.
The benefits offered by the Chinese sucker can be summarized as follows:
- Its high level of carbohydrates, proteins and water allows it to help increase energy, which makes it ideal for athletes.
- Given its vitamin C content, it can strengthen the immune system; while the phosphorus present in the fruit helps eliminate kidney waste.
- The iron contained in the Chinese sucker promotes the transport of oxygen from the lungs to the tissues.
- This wonderful fruit is provided with gallic acid and a large amount of antioxidants that prevent the proliferation of cancer cells and prevent premature aging.
- The combination of iron and phosphorus that it has helps to strengthen the bones. It also has copper and manganese, which influence the production of white blood cells.
- The skin of the rambutan can treat dysentery.
- It behaves as an excellent body fat reducer; In addition, it improves skin conditions.
Idiot, Carica papaya
The C. papaya or simply papaya, papayo, milky or papayón, it is the third of the fruits that we had referred to, which is also designated by the name of ‘mamón’.
Typical of Mesoamerica, the name of mamón instead of papaya is limited to certain regions of Argentina and Paraguay; at the moment it is cultivated in many zones of tropical or subtropical climate.
Talking about the properties of the ‘mamón’ or papaya requires a whole chapter, given the excellent and numerous qualities of this fruit. We will only limit ourselves to pointing out that its consumption is of great help in maintaining health.