Fruits with letter Z
Fruits that start with the letter z
The alphabet is somewhat mean with fruits that begin with the letter z in the Spanish language. However, it is always possible to find some, of which we can expose its properties and benefits.
The list is quite short. We can hardly mention the blackberry, the sapote and one that, although it is not really considered a fruit, has characteristics that botanically may well bring it closer to this concept: it is the pumpkin.
The blackberry: uses and benefits
Blackberries are the product of a bush of the same name, which does not require cultivation, since it occurs wild in the forest; although it can become somewhat invasive. They are fruits that develop in the shape of a cluster.
Blackberry ripening involves a color cycle that begins with green, then turns red and finally acquires the characteristic black color, which is why some also call it ‘blackberry’.
Due to its sweetness, it is possible to find this fruit in the kitchen of many people dedicated to pastry making, forming part of widely accepted recipes and preparations; although its consumption in natural form is also common.
The blackberry is a fruit that satisfies both domestic and industrial needs when making ice cream, juices and refreshing smoothies; It is also used in the production of jellies, jams, wines and liqueurs.
Eating blackberries regularly helps prevent anemia, since these fruits are rich in iron. But in addition, they have to their credit vitamins A, B and C, and minerals such as: calcium, iron, magnesium, phosphorus, potassium, sodium and zinc.
Preventing cancer and reducing cholesterol is also possible if we get used to consuming blackberries, since they are present in high content of flavonoids.
The word sapote (derived from nahuatl ‘tzapotl’), serves to designate not only a fruit, but a whole variety of these with similar characteristics. They are native to the Caribbean, Mesoamerica and northern South America.
The sapote is a fruit especially recommended for growing children. Among its benefits, they include:
- Improve defenses.
- It favors the cleaning of the gastrointestinal tract by providing 20% of the fiber required daily by just consuming 100 g of fruit.
- Helps to improve vision.
- Helps improve and maintain healthy skin.
- Indicated in diets in which it is intended to lose weight.
- Slows cell aging; it is a good antioxidant.
- Benefits the strengthening of the brain.
- Controls and improves high blood pressure levels.
- It serves as an antidiarrheal, anti-inflammatory and to relieve rheumatic pain.
- As a cosmetic, it is used to strengthen, nourish and shine hair, in addition to other uses in beauty and cosmetics.
Among the nutritional benefits of sapote we can highlight:
- It has a substantial amount of carbohydrates and calories.
- It is hydrating and diuretic, since 80% of its mass is water.
- The sapote provides our body with micronutrients such as vitamins A, C and B9.
- Calcium, phosphorus and potassium stand out among the minerals that are part of this fruit.
There is a botanical criterion according to which any vegetable fruit that has a seed must be considered a fruit. Based on this judgment, we have taken the liberty of including squash or squash among the fruits with z.
Coming from America, where it has been consumed long before the arrival of Columbus, it is part of the group of vegetables, among which it is also known as pumpkin or ahuyama.
The pumpkin is a fruit that is consumed practically in its entirety once it has been cooked: its soft shell is edible and easily digestible. Its toasted seeds, with some salt and oil, are an exquisite snack or snack.
Both the raw shell and the seeds serve as animal food; one, intended for pigs and the other serves as food for certain types of prey birds such as parrots and macaws.
The sweet flavor of the squash pulp makes it very palatable. The color of this pulp is generally orange (there may be variations in this), due to the beta-carotene content of the vegetable.
Pumpkin is a fruit that serves all ages: vegetable soups and boiled beef, fish or chicken (or a combination of these species of meats), are strengthened with the addition of pieces of the vegetable.
Elderly people with chewing difficulties, as well as babies and young children, can benefit from a rich cream or pumpkin porridge, also from a very ripe squash meringue.
The confectionery assumes the pumpkin as an excellent base with which to prepare delicious cakes or delicious cheeses by combining the vegetable with ingredients such as sugar, rum, vanilla, margarine, milk and eggs.
The pumpkin not only satisfies our palate in any of the ways we can consume it. In addition to being a nutritious food, it also turns out to be a great source of benefits for our health:
- It allows us to prevent certain types of cancer (prostate, among them), due to its carotene content.
- The fiber of this fruit favors intestinal transit by regularizing and softening bowel movements.
- It is very useful to combat heartburn and gastritis caused by stress and nervous states.
- Its high water content makes it ideal for weight loss diets. This same quality allows it to cleanse the kidneys while regulating their functioning and that of the urinary bladder.
- Pumpkin is a source of vitamin A, which benefits eyesight, strengthening bones, and skin and hair care.
Vegetables, and especially fruits, are important elements that we must take into account when thinking about food. Above all, we must consider the relevance that they have for the smallest of the house.