Green beans are a fruit that occurs in few places worldwide, its origin is denoted more than anything in Central America, green beans are considered a legume as long as they are dry, but when they are fresh they are classified as a vegetable.
Depending on the location on the globe, green beans usually have other names such as beans (in Mexico) and beans (Spain), their consumption is both the grains or fruits and the pod, depending on the dish that is required.
Origin of green beans
According to the history of mankind, green beans have existed for more than 6000 years, where there have been many varieties and they have always been consumed, since they contain excellent properties that make them a complete food.
In ancient times, green beans used to be found in Central and South America, as a result of its consumption and variety, it began to be marketed to other countries until it was already found in almost all of the world.
After the conquest that took place in America, in the countries of Europe they began to get more in their kitchens, by exporting it until in the 19th century it began with the planting of it and thus be able to be spread worldwide.
For this type of plant they had to look for moist and soft soils for their sowing, and in the summer season it is when their harvest is best done, since their pods usually appear for this time of year.
Depending on the country, green beans are usually called as:
- Green beans: that’s how they are usually called in Mexico
- Beans, green beans: for Nicaraguans they recognize them with this jargon.
- Vainicas: Costa Rica
- Kidney beans: this name is common for countries like Cuba, Panama, Honduras and Spain, most of all in the Canary Islands, Andalusia and Murcia and Puerto Rico
- Pods: for countries like Ecuador, Peru, Bolivia, Venezuela, and the Dominican Republic they are green beans or pods.
- Green beans: in Spain, but they are also called: Green beans in Navarra, Bajoques In the Valencian community, Bajocas: in Alicante, Beans in the area of Asturias, León, Salamanca and Zamora, Beans In cordoba, Trenches in Cantabria and Green caparrones: in La Rioja
It should be known that green beans in ancient times on the American continent were used mostly as a bargaining chip, although there is data that in ancient Mesopotamia they were used in the same way, in addition to culinary use it was normal to barter.
Properties of green beans
This vegetable, which is the green bean, has multiple properties, which combined with a balanced diet given by a specialist can provide great nutrients for the body.
- It contains proteins and amino acids that can help the digestive process work at its maximum capacity.
- They help lower blood sugar levels when bean pods are consumed, making it hypoglycemic and ideal for people with diabetes problems.
- The proteins that it has, usually help to maintain the body with the essential energy for its functioning, in fact for children and young people it is ideal for their growth and the energy they consume daily.
- The fiber contained in beans is a very important element for people who suffer from high cholesterol and triglycerides, as it helps to absorb and dispose of them naturally, therefore it is a vegetable that helps prevent cardiovascular diseases.
- The carbohydrate that it has, helps the absorption of fats and excess sugar so they can help you lose weight, provided it is in adequate portions.
- Thanks to its nutrients, beans can help prevent constipation, thus improving the digestive system and avoiding diseases in the colon.
- On the other hand, green beans are a very good antioxidant for the body’s organs, as it helps prevent degenerative diseases, while helping the organs to function better.
- Thanks to the cleansing properties it has, it helps the body avoid fluid retention, thus helping to improve the kidneys.
- The high content it has in B vitamins, helps the formation of red and white blood cells in the immune system, so it can help prevent many diseases and viruses.
- It contains a strong potassium value, in addition to other minerals such as calcium, phosphorus, iron and magnesium that help the body to stay active and healthy.
Beans generally have a low calorie content, since for every 100 grams of beans it contains only 30 nutritional calories, making the nutrients it has potentiate one of the best options for people with cardiovascular disease or overweight.
Characteristics of green beans
The green bean is a plant considered herbaceous, which usually bears fruit annually, this plant is one of those known as climbers, since they usually grow in the middle of the walls in the form of tissue to expand.
The leaves of the beans can be recognized because they have an elongated blade in the shape of a lance, in addition to their broad and slightly oval edges, on the leaf of the bean itself they are of a strong green color if grown in a humid environment and not cold.
The flowers of this plant are usually smaller than the leaves, but inside they have approximately 8 small seeds, which are known as green beans or beans in some countries, the variety of pods that contain these seeds are many but all are edible.
Green beans can be consumed fresh grain or as dry beans, in the same way both maintain their nutritional value intact, it is recommended for cooking them to leave it soaking, since it usually takes time to soften for final consumption .